What is the accuracy of online dating photographs?
From: Journal of Communication
- Hancock, J.T., Toma, C.L., 2009. Putting Your Best Face Forward: The Accuracy of Online Dating Photographs. Journal of Communication 59, 367–386.
- 54 heterosexual online daters in New York city (27 men and 27 women)
- Online daters were recruited and asked to rate the accuracy of there profiles and on-line pictures.
- Independent judges also rated the accuracy of the on-line photographs.
- Male photographs tended to be rated as more accurate than female photographs (48.1% of female photographs were rated as inaccurate).
- As expected, the participants tended to rate their photographs as more accurate than independent judges rated them.
- Female photographs had more inconsistencies related to physical characteristics — including age, hair style, and skin — than male photographs.
- Women’s photographs were taken an average of 17 months earlier, and men’s photographs taken only an average of 6 months earlier.
- As per the results above