What are the romantic preferences for short term and long term relationships?
From: Journal of Sex Research
- Castro, F.N., de Araújo Lopes, F., 2011. Romantic Preferences in Brazilian Undergraduate Students: From the Short Term to the Long Term. Journal of Sex Research 48, 479–485.
- 368 undergraduates aged 18 - 29
Responses for an ideal romantic mate in a short-term and long-term relationship were obtained via a questionnaire.
- Women; the following were considered more important in short-term dating; pretty face, health, intelligence and good humour.
- Women preferred health, intelligence, good humour and sincerity in long term relationships
- Men; the following were considered more important in short-term dating; pretty face, beautiful body and health.
- Men preferred a pretty face, beautiful body, health, intelligence and sincerity in long term relationships.
- No difference was found in terms of sociability.
- Although resource related traits were not considered as important, this may be due to the sample used – university undergraduates who rely upon their parents for financial support. However, intelligence was highly related which may be linked to financial security
- As per the results above