Is homeopathy safe and effective in the treatment of dementia?
From: The Cochrane Collaboration
- McCarney, R.W., Warner, J., Fisher, P., van Haselen, R., 1996. Homeopathy for dementia, in: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- 1 study (15 participants)
- The paper is a systematic review / meta analysis of all relevant trials.
- This means that the data from all similar trials has been grouped to form an overall outcome.
Only one paper was located that fulfilled the inclusion criteria. However, the sample size was too small (15 patients); the method of diagnosis was inadequate (’behavioural rating scale’ and ’information orientation scale’); and no outcome measure was used (’no therapeutic effect was looked for’).
- Homeopathy in general is incomprehensible in terms of current scientific concepts and so the practice as a whole is often scrutinised.