Is Chitosan effective for weight loss?
From: The Cochrane Collaboration
- Jull, A.B., Ni Mhurchu, C., Bennett, D.A., Dunshea-Mooij, C.A., Rodgers, A., 2008. Chitosan for overweight or obesity, in: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- 15 trials including a total of 1,219 participants
- The paper is a systematic review / meta analysis of all relevant trials.
- This means that the data from all similar trials has been grouped together to form an overall outcome.
- Chitosan provided greater weight loss (1.7kg), a decrease in cholesterol (-0.2 mmol/L), and a decrease in blood pressure when compared with a placebo.
- The authors conclude that Chitosan may have a small effect on body weight but results from high quality trials indicate that this effect is likely to be minimal.
- Yes (without confidence)
- Chitosan is a dietary supplement reported to decrease body weight. It is widely available over the counter worldwide.
- Note that the 15 trials investigated only had a relatively short term; between 4 and 24 weeks.