Is St. John's wort an effective treatment for depression?
From: The Cochrane Collaboration
- Linde, K., Berner, M.M., Kriston, L., 1996. St John’s wort for major depression, in: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- 29 trials including 5,489 patients
- The paper is a systematic review / meta analysis of all relevant trials.
- This means that the data from all similar trials have been grouped to form an overall outcome.
- The authors compared treatment with extracts of St. John’s wort for 4 to 12 weeks with placebo treatment or standard antidepressants.
- The results suggest that;
- St John's wort is superior to placebo in patients with major depression;
- St John's wort is similarly effective as standard antidepressants; and
- St John's wort has fewer side effects than standard antidepressants.
- Yes (with confidence)