Does breastfeeding prevent both type 2 and gestational diabetes?
From: Journal of the American College of Nutrition
- Taylor, J.S., Kacmar, J.E., Nothnagle, M., Lawrence, R.A., 2005. A Systematic Review of the Literature Associating Breastfeeding with Type 2 Diabetes and Gestational Diabetes. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 320–326.
- 12 studies selected for inclusion.
The paper is a systematic review / meta analysis of all relevant trials.
This means that the data from all similar trials has been grouped to form an overall outcome.
- Having been breastfed for at least 2 months may lower the risk of diabetes in children.
- Breastfeeding may lower both maternal and paediatric rates of diabetes.
- Women with diabetes should be strongly encouraged to breastfeed because of maternal and childhood benefits specific to diabetes that are above and beyond other known benefits of breastfeeding.