Are glucosamine and chondroitin effective remedies for osteoarthritis?
- McAlindon, T.E., LaValley, M.P., Gulin, J.P., Felson, D.T., 2000. Glucosamine and chondroitin for treatment of osteoarthritis: a systematic quality assessment and meta-analysis. JAMA 283, 1469–1475.
- 15 trials including 1,710 partcipants.
- The paper is a systematic review / meta analysis of all relevant trials.
- This means that the data from all similar trials has been grouped to form an overall outcome.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin preparations for osteoarthritis demonstrate moderate to large effects but the investigators note that most of the trials were supported or performed by a manufacturer.
- It seems probable that these compounds do have some efficacy in treating osteoarthritis symptoms and that they are safe.
- Yes (without confidence)